As part of its role in providing advice to the Australian Government on cultural diplomacy, the AICC has a particular interest in the following cultural diplomacy programs run by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade:
- Focus Country Programs
- AICC Grants Program
- Australian film promotion initiatives, with Screen Australia as a key partner.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program (cultural activities)
- International Cultural Visits Program
- Visual Arts Touring to Asia, delivered by Asialink
- Fine Music Touring to Asia, delivered by Musica Viva Australia
Focus Country Programs
The AICC mounts country-specific cultural programs which aim to strengthen and deepen ties with the countries through integrated arts and cultural events and activities.
From 16 October 2012 to 6 February 2013, DFAT led a major Australian cultural festival across India as part of the focus country program. Called Oz Fest, the festival showcased the creativity, dynamism and diversity of contemporary Australia through events featuring Australian music, art, food, films, literature, dance, comedy and sport.
Major cultural promotions this year and in future years will be held in:
- 2013 – Vietnam
- 2014 – Indonesia
- 2015 – Turkey
- 2016 – Brazil
Previously, focus country/region promotions have been presented in:
- 2001 – United States
- 2002 – Germany and China
- 2003 – Germany and Japan
- 2004 – South-East Asia
- 2005 – Singapore, United Kingdom and India
- 2006 – United Kingdom and India
- 2007 – France and Malaysia
- 2008 – Indonesia
- 2009 – United States
- 2010 – China
- 2011 – Republic of Korea
Visit Imagine Australia: Australian Culture in China Portal for information on the 2010 focus country program and our ongoing public diplomacy activities in China.