Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals will require moving from billions of dollars in Official Development Assistance (ODA) to trillions of dollars in investment of all kinds. The Addis Ababa Action Agendarecognises this large financing gap and looks beyond aid to domestic resources, trade and private sector to finance the Goals. The Addis Agenda also recognises that meeting the "billions" to "trillions" financing gap will require broader coalitions that bring together these resources – coalitions in which aid can play an important catalytic role.
The Addis Agenda includes the following set of seven Action Areas and a package of over 100 concrete measures within them that together provide a comprehensive and coherent framework for financing sustainable development.
- Domestic public resources
- Mobilise domestic resources including remittance flows and tax
- Improve transparency, efficiency and effectiveness of tax systems
- Scale up international tax cooperation
- Domestic and international private business and finance
- Build dynamic private sectors
- Promote financial inclusion
- Reduce costs of remittances
- International development cooperation
- Find new ways to attract both public and private sources of financing for development
- Modernise forms of cooperation
- Promote foreign direct investment
- International trade as an engine for development
- Ensure trade expansion benefits developing countries
- Strengthen regional economic integration and interconnectivity
- Utilising Aid-for-trade
- Debt and debt sustainability
- Strengthen macroeconomic and public resource management
- Coordinate policies to foster debt financing, debt relief, debt restructuring and debt management
- Address systemic issues
- Strengthen international coordination and policy coherence to enhance global financial and macroeconomic stability.
- Science, technology, innovation and capacity-building
- Investing in multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Invest in infrastructure and public services
Visit the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals web pages for more information.