The graduate selection process comprises three stages.
Stage one: Application
To apply for the graduate program with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) you need to submit an online application through our current opportunities page.
Your application will need to provide:
- your personal details
- a 500 word pitch telling us how your skills, experience and qualifications make you the best candidate for this opportunity
- a 100 word outline of who you are, including your interests outside of work and study
- details of two referees
- your key academic and professional achievements, extra-curricular interests and work experience. Please note that this process captures all the information needed for your application. Separate resumes will not be accepted.
The selection committee will review applications and shortlist them for progression to the next stage of the assessment process.
Stage two: Video Assessment
Candidates who progress to this stage of the process will be required to complete a video assessment. This will be either a presentation or interview format and will test your communication and presentation skills as well as your ability to think on your feet.
Stage three: Assessment Centre
The final stage of the process, the assessment centre, is held in Canberra. Candidates must attend this assessment in person: assessments cannot be conducted by video conferencing or Skype.
The assessment centre comprises three separate tasks:
- Group exercise
- Written exercise
- Panel interview
Assessment centres will be held in May/June 2018.
Referee reports enable the selection committee to verify the information obtained in your application and during assessment activities. Your referees may be contacted at any stage of the selection process.
We make all selection decisions based on merit. This means:
- the selection process is fair and consistent
- assessment is based on the inherent requirements of the role
- based on the assessment, the best person for the role is selected
Successful candidates will be contacted by phone and email. This will take place in June/July 2018.
Due to the size of the process and the number of applications received, we are not able to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
If you have questions about the application or selection process, please contact our recruitment team at email@example.com, or phone 02 6261 9811.