GUIDE TO THE REPORT
This is the Secretarys report to the Minister for Foreign Affairs and the Minister for Trade on the performance of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Volume 1) and the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) (Volume 2) during the financial year 19992000. It is prepared in accordance with the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinets Requirements for Departmental Annual Reports of May 2000, which draws on the legislative requirements set out in the Public Service Act 1999. Information and statistics cover the financial year 19992000, or relate to the situation as at 30 June 2000, unless otherwise specified. All dollars are Australian, unless otherwise specified.
GUIDE TO VOLUME 1 (See also glossary of terms)
The report of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Volume 1) uses the same outcomeoutput structure that was used to present the departments 19992000 portfolio budget statements, with some minor structural adjustments to the framework of our performance indicators. Details of these adjustments are on page 23, Implementation of Accrual Budgeting.
Section 1 contains:
- the Secretarys review for 19992000;
- the departmental overview, including:
- role and functions;
- organisational structure;
- senior executive structure;
- portfolio structure;
- outcomes and outputs structure;
- relationship between former program structure and new outcome structure; and
- implementation of accrual budgeting.
Section 2 contains the departments outcomeoutput performance information reports. Performance is reported under the following headings:
- effectiveness (including administered items);
- quality and quantity measures for departmental outputs; and
- quality and quantity measures for administered items.
- To enhance the flow of performance information in Section 2:
- Effectiveness indicators are grouped at the commencement of reporting for each output within outcomes with the exception of outputs 1.1 and 1.2 where indicators are grouped at sub-output level because of the large number of sub-outputs.
- Quality and quantity indicators and reporting under each outcome are treated similarly at the end of reporting on effectiveness of outputs.
- Administered items indicators and reporting under each outcome are set out at the end of reporting on quality and quantity for the relevant output.
- All indicators have been reported against. Headings and sub-headings within the text generally conform to the order of indicators appearing at the beginning of performance reporting, but there have been variations in some instances.
Section 3 reports on enabling services that do not appear under the outcome structure. It includes reporting on corporate governance, external scrutiny and management of human and financial resources including the departments response to public sector reform.
Section 4 contains the audited Financial Statements for 19992000.
Section 5 includes appendixes containing useful additional information and reports required under specific legislation.
Section 6 contains glossaries of terms and acronyms and abbreviations, and an index.
Publications Portfolio Budget Statements 19992000 and 200001
Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements 19992000
Corporate Plan 20002002
Trade Outcomes and Objectives Statement 2000
This page last modified: Thursday, 01 April 2004 11:12:54 AM
Local Date: Sunday, 08 December 2013 04:09:01 AM