Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement
Chapter Twenty Three - Final Provisions
Article 23.1 : Accession
1. Any country or group of countries may accede to this Agreement subject to such terms and conditions as may be agreed between such country or countries and the Parties and following approval in accordance with the applicable legal procedures of each country.
2. This Agreement shall not apply as between any Party and any acceding country or group of countries if, at the time of the accession, either Party does not consent to such application.
Article 23.2 : Annexes
The Annexes to this Agreement constitute an integral part of this Agreement.
Article 23.3 : Amendments
1. The Parties may agree, in writing, to amend this Agreement. An amendment shall enter into force after the Parties complete any necessary internal requirements and on such date as the Parties may agree.
2. If any provision of the WTO Agreement that the Parties have incorporated into this Agreement is amended, the Parties will consult on whether to amend this Agreement.
Article 23.4 : Entry into Force and Termination
1. This Agreement shall enter into force 60 days after the date on which the Parties exchange written notifications certifying that they have completed respective necessary internal requirements, or on such other date as the Parties may agree.
2. A Party may terminate this Agreement by written notification to the other Party, and such termination shall take effect six months after the date of the notification.
3. Within 30 days of delivery of a notification under paragraph 2, either Party may request consultations regarding whether any provision of this Agreement should terminate on a date later than that provided under paragraph 2. Consultations shall commence within 30 days after the Party delivers such a request.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, being duly authorized by their respective Governments, have signed this Agreement.
Done at Washington, D.C., in duplicate, this 18th day of May 2004.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF AUSTRALIA:
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: