MIKTA is an innovative partnership that brings together Mexico, Indonesia, Republic of Korea (ROK), Turkey and Australia. It is a consultative forum based on shared values and interests. It is a flexible and informal platform, aimed at advancing the common interests of the international community.
MIKTA is led by foreign ministers, who first came together at the inaugural MIKTA meeting in September 2013. MIKTA foreign ministers have agreed to meet three times a year. They last met on 26 September 2015 in New York, USA, for the 6th MIKTA Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, where Australia took on the role of annual MIKTA Chair.
The MIKTA countries are significant economic powers: we are the 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th and 18th largest economies in the world and play pivotal strategic roles in our regions.
In addition to our relative economic and strategic weight, we also share important fundamental values, including a commitment to democracy and human rights, and shared support of free trade and open economies.
We also share key interests. It matters to us all that the mechanisms of global governance are able to address the problems we face. In international forums, we often find ourselves pushing in the same direction.
Furthermore, we share a capacity to pursue our interests that is not available to smaller players. We can use our seats in global governance structures, for example in the World Trade Organization (WTO), G20 and, periodically, the United Nations Security Council. We also have access to extensive networks in our respective regions.
Finally, MIKTA’s diversity means that we have an opportunity to build consensus across very different constituencies. Consultations with MIKTA partners allow us to have a much better understanding of the positions and perspectives of our different constituencies.
Speeches, statements and communiqués
- Joint Statement on the North Korean nuclear test, 9 January 2016
- Joint Statement: Terrorist attack in Turkey, 12 October 2015
- Joint Communique: 6th MIKTA Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, New York, 26 September 2015
- Joint Statement on Climate Change, New York, 26 September 2015
- Joint Statement on Financing for Development, Addis Ababa, 13 July 2015
- Seoul Statement, MIKTA Speakers’ Consultation, 2 July 2015
- Keynote speech on MIKTA by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the Hon Julie Bishop MP, 24 June 2015
- Joint Communiqué: 5th Foreign Minsters’ Meeting, 22 May 2015
- Joint Statement commemorating International Women’s Day, 9 March 2015
- Joint Op-ed: 21st Century Global Governance, 7 January 2015
- Joint Communiqué: 4th MIKTA Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, 26 November 2014
- Joint Statement of the Foreign Ministers of MIKTA concerning the Ebola outbreak and Global Health, 25 September 2014
- Joint Statement of the Foreign Ministers of MIKTA concerning the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, 27 July 2014
- Joint Communiqué: 2nd MIKTA Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, 14 April 2014
- Joint Statement of Mexico, Indonesia, the Republic of Korea, Turkey and Australia (MIKTA) on the Situation in North Korea, 14 April 2014
Country/economic fact sheets
Official MIKTA website