New Colombo Plan Pilot Program Fact Sheet
What is the New Colombo Plan?
The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to improve knowledge of the Indo Pacific in Australia. The New Colombo Plan will increase the number of Australians studying in the region, through supporting study and internship opportunities, thereby generating a genuine, two-way flow of students between Australia and the Indo Pacific.
The New Colombo Plan is intended to be transformational, deepening relationships with the region, both at the individual level and through expanding university, business and other links.
Over time, the Australian Government wants to see study in the Indo Pacific region become a "rite of passage" for Australian undergraduate students, and an endeavour that is highly valued across the Australian community.
- The pilot phase of the New Colombo Plan will take place in 2014, involving Indonesia, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong.
- The New Colombo Plan will be implemented from 2015, with study opportunities available across the Indo Pacific region.
- The 2014 pilot program will support a range of study opportunities for Australian undergraduate students through:
- around 40 prestigious scholarships for periods of study between one semester and a year; and
- an innovative mobility grants scheme that will support some 700 Australian undergraduates to undertake study in the region, ranging from short courses to semester study of up to one year.
- Funding support for scholarship recipients includes:
- host institution fees where applicable;
- travel to and from the host location;
- a living stipend and insurance costs.
- Both the scholarships and mobility grants programs include provision for relevant language studies.
- An internship or mentorship experience is an integral component of the New Colombo Plan, ensuring Australian students are work ready and have professional connections in the region.
- An alumni model is being developed to facilitate connections and ensure networks established through the New Colombo Plan are long lasting.
- The program is open to Australian undergraduates aged 18 to 28 at all Australian universities.
- The Government has committed $100 million of funding for the New Colombo Plan.