Have you changed your name?

Key Points

  • If you change your name, you must provide proof that your new name has been formally registered
  • This enables us to confirm your identity and citizenship status so we can issue you with a passport in your new name
  • Under certain conditions, we may replace a passport free of charge if you wish to change your name on marriage, divorce or other limited circumstances

All name changes must be registered

Before a passport can be issued to you, the Australian Passport Office must establish your identity and Australian citizenship status. This ensures the integrity of the Australian passport issuing process and guarantees a world class, highly secure travel document for all Australians.

If your current names are different from your Australian birth or citizenship names, you need to provide documentation that your new names have been formally registered with an Australian state or territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) or the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

The names appearing on your passport must be exactly the same as the names appearing on the relevant document. No variations are permitted.

Purchased titles or awards may not be accepted for use in an Australian travel document.

Names that will appear on your passport

Your Australian passport is normally issued to you in the name(s) that appear on your full Australian birth certificate issued by an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or an Australian citizenship certificate obtained from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. These documents are considered to be your original 'base' or primary personal identity documents.

In the event of a name change, there must be a clear link from your original ‘base’ personal identity document to the changed name you want to appear on your passport so we can be satisfied you are the same person. For example, if the name in which you want your passport issued is different to your name as recorded by an Australian RBDM when you were born, then you must establish a clear link between your birth name and your new name(s).

You may use a name that has appeared on your most recent previous Australian passport provided the passport was issued on or after 20 August 1986, had been valid for at least two years and has not been replaced with another name formally registered in Australia or stated on an Australian citizenship certificate.

Documentary evidence you must provide

If you are renewing your passport and wish to have a different name(s) to that on your previous passport, you will need to complete a full passport application form and provide documentation in support of your change of name.

The following original personal identity documents can be accepted in support of a change of name when applying for a passport:

Foreign documents

If you cannot access a state or territory RBDM in Australia to change your name, you may use a name from a foreign marriage or a foreign name change certificate provided it has been legalised (apostilled or authenticated) by the issuing government in a form that meets our requirements and it was issued after you gained Australian citizenship.

For information on how your foreign document may be legalised, you should contact the government authority of the country that issued the document. In most cases, this would be the relevant country’s Department or Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or its diplomatic or consular representatives in Australia.

Note: Before issuing a passport, we must sight your original personal identity documents to confirm that you are the person applying for an Australian passport and that you are using the identity in the community.

Eligibility for free replacement passports

If you have more than two years validity remaining on your Australian passport the Australian Passport Office can replace it free of charge if you wish to change your name on marriage, divorce, entering into or ceasing to be in a registered or de facto relationship, the death of a spouse or partner, or as a result of transitioning to another gender.

The replacement passport showing your new name will be issued with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced.

Please safeguard your passport

Remember to safeguard your passport at all times. When travelling overseas, it is often the only proof of identity that will be accepted. Please store you passport in the wallet provided to prevent damage. Additional fees apply to replace lost or stolen passports.

Further Information:

For the latest information about passports and copies of our other publications, visit our website, www.passports.gov.au or call the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) 131 232 in Australia. If you are overseas, contact an Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.

For travel advice and practical information to help you prepare for safe overseas travel, go to www.smartraveller.gov.au


If you are not fluent in English, you can use the Australian Government's Translating and Interpreting Service at your passport interview at no cost. If you need an interpreter or are visually impaired and need general passport information, please call APIS on 131 232

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service: TTY users telephone 133 677 and Speak and Listen users telephone 1300 555 727. Ask for APIS on 131 232.

We value your comments

We work hard to improve our service to you and we welcome your input about how our staff can make it even better. Please submit any compliments, complaints or comments to us in any of the following ways:



APIS 131 232

In writing:

Communications Unit
Australian Passport Office
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
R G Casey Building
John McEwan Crescent