All volunteer assignments are advertised with detailed descriptions of the specific skills and experience required. The skills and expertise required to meet the needs of all our host organisations are diverse.
If you don't find a volunteer assignment that suits your skills and interest then check the website regularly for new assignments.
Each assignment is managed by one of the three delivery partners of the AVID program. They carry out a competitive, merit-based recruitment process to select the best available and most suitable candidate for the advertised assignment. This is done through a written application, interviews with those who are shortlisted (either face-to-face or by telephone) and referee checks.
Assignments may be delayed at any time due to security concerns, changing requirements of host organisations, or other programming reasons. On rare occasions they may be withdrawn.
Selection takes into account:
- how well the candidate meets the assignment selection criteria
- whether the candidate is assessed as likely to be successful in the specific assignment context
- whether their personal circumstances allow them to commit to the full term of the assignment.
If you are selected as the preferred candidate, you will be required to obtain a health clearance, Police Check and Working with Children Check. The AVID delivery partner will provide advice at this stage about arranging for these checks. Confirmation of selection is conditional on obtaining these clearances.
As part of your pre-departure preparation you will also be required to have completed First Aid certification to the Australian Standard unit of competency HLTAID003 Provide First Aid or its predecessor HLTFA311A Apply First Aid.
Before applying, you can learn more about the AVID program by:
- attending an information and recruitment session - regular sessions are held around Australia and are listed in the events section
- hearing from current and past volunteers through their stories
- contacting one of our delivery partners
- learning more about the Australian Government's aid program.