The International Relations Grants Program (IRGP) provides grants to foster people-to-people and institutional links - bilaterally and regionally – in support of the Government's foreign and trade policy goals and to project a positive contemporary image of Australia.
IRGP grants support professional, community and institutional linkages between Australia and its partners on contemporary issues of shared interest including the arts, media, education, science, technology and social development initiatives such as health and sport.
The majority of IRGP grants are managed by the department's Foundations, Councils and Institutes:
There is considerable competition for grant money and individual grants generally do not exceed $30,000. Australian individuals and organisations as well as joint applications involving non-Australian individuals or organisations with an Australian partner are eligible. IRGP grants are managed in accordance with the Commonwealth Grant Guidelines. Grants are generally not awarded for:
- Capital expenditure including items such as real property, equipment or computer software;
- Activities that are properly the responsibility of other funding bodies or other government agencies (e.g. development assistance projects, trade promotion and academic research);
- Activities that are commercially viable in their own right or which give a commercial advantage to one organisation;
- Conference travel, salaries for research assistants or administrative staff; honorariums or administrative charges levied by the applicant's organisation; or
- Projects already completed.
Lists of previous grant recipients.
Australia International Cultural Council (AICC)
AICC Grants Program
Council for Australian-Arab Relations (CAAR)
CAAR Grants Program
Australia-China Council (ACC)
ACC Grants Program
Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR)
COALAR grant program
Australia Indonesia Institute (AII) Scholarships, Exchanges and Fellowships
Australia-Japan Foundation (AJF)
AJF Grant Program
Australia-Korea Foundation (AKF)
AKF Grant Program
Australia-India Council (AIC)
How to apply for funding from the Australia-India Council
AMI Grant Program
Australia-Thailand Institute (ATI)
ATI Grant Program