The Centre for Australian Studies, Yonsei University - Seoul 2014
An Opportunity for Teaching & Research in Korea
The Centre for Australian Studies (CAS) at Yonsei University in Korea invites applications for the position of Visiting Lecturer in Australian Studies. This position is an initiative of the "Building a Teaching Base for Australian Studies in Korean Universities" which is supported by the Australia- Korea Foundation, within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
A successful applicant will teach a postgraduate subject for a semester on an aspect of Australia approached from a social sciences perspective (i.e. economy, politics, sociology, multiculturalism, international relations, history, etc.), and taught within the Graduate School of International Studies, Yonsei University. It is expected that he/she will participate in the Centre's research and education activities (seminars, research collaboration, joint grant applications, guest lectures, etc.). The applicant is also expected to pursue an appropriate research program.
Yonsei University has two semesters (1st March to mid-June and 2nd September to mid-December 2014). The subject can be offered in either semester, and is comprised of three hours teaching per week (seminars, lectures or mixed as appropriate). All teaching is in English. An intensive mode (i.e. 8-10 weeks instead of the whole semester) is possible (subject to University's approval).
Selection requirements are:
- A PhD in social sciences on a topic relating to Australia
- Experience in tertiary level teaching about Australia, preferably at the postgraduate level
- Active in research with a track record of publications
- An Australian citizen (or permanent resident) currently based at an Australian university
The package includes:
- Return flights from Australia to Seoul (Economy)
- In-campus accommodation (one-bedroom apartment, subject to availability, or a guest room), and
- Teaching stipend (A$8,000 ~ A$10,000 subject to the exchange rate and depending on experience)
Interested applicants may contact Professor Heejin Lee, Director of CAS on firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries. To apply, please forward by email:
- a full CV with details of teaching experiences at tertiary level, research publications and interests, and the names of two academic referees.
You must also include details of your availability; a page outline of the subject to be taught; a statement of your approach to teaching in a cross cultural environment, and why you have applied for the position; and a brief outline of your intended research program.
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2013.
The Centre for Australian Studies (CAS) at Yonsei University was founded in October 2008. Its mission is "To Connect Australia and Korea Closer through Research, Education and Networking". CAS has published three books: "Understanding Contemporary Australia I & II" (2011, 2013) and "Australia and Korea: The History of 120 Years" (2009, Yonsei University Publishing). The centre has also organised international conferences including "Multicultural Australia and Lessons for Korea" (2009).