- Sector: Creative Industries, including fashion, design, architecture
- Country location: Australia
- Grantee: Naomi Milgrom Foundation
Each year, MPavilion’s architectural commission and four-month-long public program captures the international imagination. A civic space, a cultural laboratory and an event hub, MPavilion spotlights Melbourne as the creative and design capital of Australia and as a world-renowned leader in liveability, with the pavilion existing to foster discussion and debate about the role of design in shaping cities both in Australia and in a global context.
The 2017/18 international program—taking place inside this year's MPavilion designed by OMA / Rem Koolhaas & David Gianotten—will see some of the architecture and design world’s most renowned international voices presenting talks and undertaking workshops with local creatives and practitioners in Melbourne, generating cross-cultural discussions around urban and rural futures; technology and innovation; equity, affordability and the city; heritage and preservation; Indigenous design perspectives and intercultural space; the intersections of science and design; and experimental design. MPavilion's international program brings together architects, artists, designers and thought leaders from diverse practices to position creative thinking at the heart of discussions about our built environment, civic life and the value of design in our everyday lives.
- MPavilion 2017/18 opening, Melbourne, 3 October 2017
- MPavilion 2017/18 closing, Melbourne, 4 February 2018
- Australian Cultural Diplomacy Grants Program grant offer: $60,000
- Total project value: $2,798,000