Reference exchange of Missions with Russia.
1. New Zealand Government are now considering text of agreement for exchange of consul with Russia, and have asked our views.  We are asking them to discuss matter personally next week when New Zealand Delegation arrives here. 
2. Some time ago Eggleston strongly advocated Australian representation in Russia.  We have instructed him to discuss it with Russian Ambassador at Chungking. 
3. It is desired you approach Maisky  immediately with a view to general agreement by Russia for exchange of accredited representatives.
4. As you know previous Government favoured exchange of consular representations [sic], and we suggested to you despatch of representative Goodwill Mission.  Matter was then held up at suggestion of Cripps , because of Russia's military preoccupations.
5. Endeavour therefore to reach immediate general agreement on following lines: U.S.S.R. and Australia will agree in principle to exchange of Ministers: until it is practicable to initiate new system, Bruce  will be accredited by Australia to Russia and Maisky to Australia from Russia and direct contact between Ministers will take place in London. Appointment will be of interim character but will establish the principle of reciprocal exchange which each country desires and which will be fully implemented in the near future.
6. As we were the Dominion which took the lead in these exchanges, we would like to get the agreement approved before New Zealand acts.