Portuguese Timor: Missing Journalists
General Adenan has just advised Dan that no further news had been received from Timor about the journalists.
- We asked Adenan why it was taking such a long time for them to convey a message from UDT/Apodeti. After all, UDT leader, Lopez da Cruz was reported in the press two days ago as having said that four bodies, possibly Australian, had been found at Balibo.
- Adenan said he was at a loss to know what the hold-up had been. The Indonesian authorities in Jakarta were making further urgent enquiries this morning. He still hoped he would have something to give us today.
- We have given Adenan the details concerning the three Channel 7 men set out in paragraph 3 ofCH281029.2
- We asked Adenan to send an urgent message to Governor El Tari in Kupang about Johnson's visit. He undertook to do this.
- Please inform Maher (Channel 7) (Telephone Melbourne 693975 or 690771) and Cornford (Telephone Melbourne 421785) that we are still awaiting confirmation. Both have rung the Embassy. Gerald Stone (Channel 9 in Sydney) had also rung us earlier.
[NAA: A10463, 801/13/11/5, i]