The press this morning reported that President Soeharto approved the integration of East Timor with Indonesia at a Cabinet meeting yesterday.
- Soeharto reportedly concluded that:
- The Government of Indonesia respond positively to and approve the East Timorese petition for integration,
- Integration will be arranged through constitutional procedures,
- The Government of Indonesia will submit a draft bill on integration to the House of Representatives (DPR). The bill will be passed into a law legalising integration, and
- All Indonesian government agencies are instructed to help development in East Timor.
- Information Minister Mashuri is quoted as saying he hoped the process of finalising integration would not repeat not take long.
- e understand the President is to discuss the integration bill with DPR leaders today.1
[NAA: Al838, 801/13/10/1, v]