Article 20.1: General Provisions
1. The Parties shall establish a framework for cooperation and capacity building activities and shall undertake and strengthen these activities to assist in implementing this Agreement and enhancing its benefits, with the intention of accelerating economic growth and sustainable development.
2. The Parties recognise that cooperation and capacity building activities may be undertaken between the Parties, on a mutually agreed basis, and shall seek to complement and build on existing agreements or arrangements between them.
3. The Parties also recognise that the involvement of the private sector is important in these activities, and that SMEs may require assistance in participating in global markets.
Article 20.2: Areas of Cooperation and Capacity Building
1. The Parties may undertake and strengthen cooperation and capacity building activities to assist in:
- implementing the provisions of this Agreement;
- enhancing each Party’s ability to take advantage of the economic opportunities created by this Agreement; and
- promoting and facilitating trade and investment of the Parties.
2. The public and private sectors may undertake cooperation and capacity building activities in areas of common interest, which may include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, industrial and services sectors;
- education, human capital development, culture and gender equality;
- innovation, technology, research and development;
- mining and energy;
- water management and sanitation;
- tourism and gastronomy;
- protection of vulnerable groups, including women, children, people with disabilities and indigenous people; and
- disaster risk management.
3. The Parties recognise that technology and innovation provide added value to cooperation and capacity building activities, and may be incorporated into cooperation and capacity building activities under this Article.
4. Cooperation and capacity building activities may include, but should not be limited to: dialogues, workshops, seminars, conferences, collaborative programmes and projects; technical assistance to promote and facilitate capacity building and training; the sharing of best practices on policies and procedures; the exchange of experts, information and technology; and the encouragement of private sector cooperation.
Article 20.3: Contact Points for Cooperation and Capacity Building
1. Each Party shall designate and notify a contact point on Cooperation and Capacity Building to facilitate communications between the Parties on any matter covered by this Chapter.
2. A Party may make a request for cooperation and capacity building activities related to this Agreement to the other Party through the contact points.
Article 20.4: Committee on Cooperation and Capacity Building
1. The Parties hereby establish a Committee on Cooperation and Capacity Building (Committee), composed of government representatives of each Party.
2. The Committee shall:
- discuss and consider issues or proposals for future cooperation and capacity building activities;
- initiate and undertake collaboration, as appropriate, to enhance donor coordination and facilitate public-private partnerships in cooperation and capacity building activities;
- invite, as appropriate, international donor institutions, private sector entities, non-governmental organisations, academic sector or other relevant institutions, to assist in the development and implementation of cooperation and capacity building activities;
- establish ad hoc working groups, as appropriate, which may include government representatives, non-government representatives or both;
- coordinate with any other subsidiary bodies established under this Agreement as appropriate, in support of the development and implementation of cooperation and capacity building activities;
- review the implementation or operation of this Chapter; and
- engage in other activities as the Parties may decide.
3. The Committee shall meet within one year of the date of entry into force of this Agreement, and thereafter as necessary.
4. The Committee shall produce an agreed record of their meetings, including decisions and next steps and, as appropriate, report to the Joint Commission.
Article 20.5: Resources
1. The implementation of cooperation and capacity building activities under this Chapter shall be subject to the availability of funds and resources of each Party and the applicable laws and regulations of each Party.
2. The Parties shall bear the costs of cooperation and capacity building activities under this Chapter, in an equitable manner to be mutually agreed by the Parties.
Article 20.6: Non-Application of Dispute Settlement
Neither Party shall have recourse to dispute settlement under Chapter 27 (Dispute Settlement) for any matter arising under this Chapter.