We, the Governments of the Member States of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA); the Commonwealth of Australia, the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, the Union of the Comoros, the Republic of India, the Republic of Indonesia, the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Madagascar, Malaysia, the Republic of Mauritius, the Republic of Mozambique, the Sultanate of Oman, the Republic of Seychelles, the Republic of Singapore, the Federal Republic of Somalia, the Republic of South Africa, the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Kingdom of Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, and the Republic of Yemen;
Unequivocally condemning all acts of terrorism and offering sincere sympathy to victims, their families, and the people of affected countries;
Acknowledging that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes a serious threat to regional and international peace and security, undermining economic development and social cohesion;
Recognizing terrorism and violent extremism is not bound by national boundaries and requires cooperation at all levels, local, national, regional, and international to effectively counter, prevent and address conditions conducive to terrorism and violent extremism;
Stressing the need to work together in order to address the conditions conducive to the growth and spread of terrorism and violent extremism in society;
Reaffirming the role of governments, international and regional institutions and civil society in countering terrorism and violent extremism;
Emphasizing the importance of parents, teachers, community leaders, and civil society in countering and preventing youth radicalization;
Recognizing that education and information are pivotal to promote moderation, that emphasizes tolerance, understanding, mutual respect and inclusiveness, as a core value in preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism.
Rejecting any attempt to associate violent extremism with any religion, ethnic group, culture, or nationality;
Stressing principles of sovereign equality, territorial integrity, political independence, non-interference in internal affairs, peaceful co-existence, and mutual benefit;
Reaffirming support for the effective implementation of all relevant United Nations resolutions and declarations on international terrorism, including Global-Counter-Terrorism Strategy and the UN General Assembly resolution entitled “WAVE: Prevent Violent Extremism A/RES/70/109” World Against Violence and Extremism, as applicable to each Member States, and respect for international law and human rights while countering violent extremism.
Hereby declare as follows:
Member States have reached a common understanding to:
- Denounce terrorism and violent extremism in all its forms and manifestations;
- Resolve to stand together in preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism;
- Work to support each other’s efforts to counter the threat from terrorism and violent extremism, including through enhancing cooperation and coordination of efforts, dialogue and sharing of information, expertise, best practices and lessons learned including on stemming the financing of terrorism;
- Cooperate to counter terrorist and violent extremist ideology and propaganda by, among others, promoting positive messages of respect, tolerance, co-existence, inclusion, diversity and social cohesion;
- Promote the role of education and society in building resilience against violent extremism, including fostering inclusion and respect for different cultures and beliefs, as well as enhancing women’s role in preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism;
- Collaborate to successfully rehabilitate, deradicalize, and reintegrate radicalized individuals to bolster social cohesion;
- Encourage closer dialogue with as well as between civil society, religious, cultural, educational and other institutions on preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism;
- Support strengthening of national and regional institutions specializing in preventing and countering terrorism and violent extremism;
- Strengthen the determination to continue efforts to resolve conflicts, eradicate poverty, eliminate marginalization, promote sustainable development, good governance, human rights and the rule of law, improve intercultural understanding, and ensure respect for all religions, religious values, beliefs and cultures in addressing terrorism and violent extremism;
- Continue to work with the United Nations and other international and regional institutions to prevent and counter terrorism and violent extremism.