My telegram N.2.  You may possibly think it more advisable to
postpone discussions with van Kleffens  until time comes when
he will again visit Australia. My personal feeling is that defence
of both Dutch Timor and Dutch New Guinea will be again so vital to
us that lease of some portion at least are (sic) best means of
giving Australia full opportunity for carrying out defence and
other arrangements as before indicated in my correspondence with
Eden dealing with Portuguese Timor.  On the other hand you may
by a gradual approach along the lines of Portuguese arrangement
obtain an agreement in principle which will be all that can
reasonably be required for the present.
I emphasise absolute need of complete secrecy.