Location of activities funded
Australian community organisations can apply for funding for activities undertaken in Overseas Development Assistance (ODA) eligible countries in the Indo-Pacific region as outlined below.
DFAT will not fund any activities in locations listed as "do not travel" or "reconsider your need to travel" on Smartraveller.
Organisations eligible to apply for a grant include:
Australian community organisations that are not currently accredited with DFAT and have:
- A proven record in implementing international development activities in ODA-eligible countries in the Indo-Pacific region (as outlined above); and
- A letter of support from an in-country authority as well as existing relationships with in-country partner communities that assist in the planning implementation of activities on the ground.
Organisations not eligible to apply for a grant include:
- For-profit organisations;
- State or Territory Governments;
- Organisations who are currently accredited with DFAT (including Australian NGO Cooperation Program (ANCP) partners);
- Community organisations not registered in Australia; and/or
- An organisation, which itself or its staff, volunteers, or in-country partners appear on any of the following lists:
Activities eligible for funding include:
- Development activities which build on existing projects to improve the lives of poor and vulnerable people in a way that is sustainable; and
- Development activities that assist and strengthen an overseas community's capacity or socio-economic situation such as:
- Income generation – including microfinance, microenterprise or small business development;
- Basic education and training – including literacy, primary, and vocational training;
- Gender equality – including women's economic empowerment and leadership, and ending violence against women and girls;
- Disability inclusion;
- Healthcare – including primary healthcare;
- Water supply and sanitation – including providing access to safe water and maintaining or improving water quality;
- Protection and promotion of human rights – including improving economic, social and cultural rights, the rights of people with a disability, and addressing indigenous disadvantage;
- Rural development – including the development of agriculture and basic services;
- Sustainable environmental and natural resource management;
- Preparedness for, and long-term recovery from, natural disasters; and
- Climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Australian Aid: Friendship Grants activities should align with the Australian aid program's overarching goals and priorities (such as gender equality and disability inclusion).
Activities not eligible for funding include:
- Research, conferences, seminars, training events and/or exchanges to Australia or partner country;
- Costs associated with participants attending events;
- Substantial freight of goods and supplied to the overseas country;
- Major capital expenditure (purchase of buildings or land);
- Activities in high-risk locations (including all locations listed as "do not travel" or "reconsider your need to travel" on Smartraveller);
- Activities that involve unskilled volunteers supporting orphanages or residential care institutions
- Evangelism or missionary outreach, or similar activities by political organisations; or
- Activities that are determined to be contrary to the interests of the Commonwealth of Australia;
Grant size, number of applications and duration
Applicants can apply for grant of $30,000 to $60,000. Australian community organisations can only submit one application per round. Grants will be expended within 12 months.
To be eligible for Friendship Grants funding, Australian community organisations will be required to match funding at a minimum ratio of $1 Australian community organisation funds to $5 Australian Aid: Friendship Grants funds. The Australian community organisations' match can be either financial or in-kind, including volunteer hours.
Risk mitigation and due diligence
Australian community organisations must meet DFAT's safeguards and due diligence requirements to participate in program.
Email FriendshipGrants@dfat.gov.au for more information.