Pursuit of common interests in multilateral fora, particularly the UN, UN organisations and the Commonwealth.
Trade and investment opportunities exist in Barbados for Australian businesses, including in oil and gas, transport, tourism and related industries. BHP has acquired rights to explore for offshore gas and oil in South-western Barbados waters.
Australia and Barbados established diplomatic relations in 1974. The Australian High Commission in the Caribbean was located in Barbados from 1994 to 2004 before it moved to Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago. Australia’s High Commissioner is accredited to Barbados. Australia maintains a resident Honorary Consul in Barbados and Barbados has an Honorary Consul in Sydney.
Barbados is eligible for the Australian Government’s Endeavour Leadership Program.
Australia has supported seminars for Barbados judges, magistrates and lawyers by Australian barrister Stephen Odgers SC on the law of evidence in 2018 and former Australian Family Court Chief Justice the Hon Diana Bryant AO QC on family law in 2017.
Information on our economic partnership can be found in our Economic Factsheet for Barbados.
Barbados is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and other regional organisations.
Australia and Barbados are members of the Commonwealth, UN and United Nations organisations.
Australia’s foreign policy is guided by the Foreign Policy White Paper.
- Barbadian visitors to Australia (2017) — 200
- Australian visitors to Barbados (primary destination 2017) — 800
- Resident Australian population born in Barbados (2016) — 370
- Australian residents of Caribbean Islander descent (2016) — 3,600
- Barbadian students in Australia (2017) — <5
High level engagement
- 2017 January — Foreign Minister Julie Bishop met former Barbados Foreign Minister McClean in Grenada.
- 2012 January — Parliamentary Secretary Richard Marles visited Barbados.
Australian High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago
18 Herbert Street, St Clair, Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago
Tel: +1 (868) 822 5450
Facebook: Australia in the Caribbean
See Smartraveller for Information on travelling to Barbados