Pursuit of common interests in multilateral fora. Australia provided substantial humanitarian assistance to Dominica after Hurricane Maria in 2017.
Trade and investment opportunities exist in Dominica for Australian businesses, include in reconstruction, transport, tourism and related industries.
Australia’s High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago is accredited to Dominica. Dominica does not have official representation in Australia.
The Australian Government provided $1.5 million in humanitarian assistance to Dominica through the International Organization for Migration (relief housing) and the UN Fund for Population Activities after Hurricane Maria in 2017.
Through the Direct Aid Program, the Australian Government provides financial support to a range of projects in Dominica. In 2017-18, the Direct Aid Program supported projects focused on disaster relief needs and emergency communications.
Dominica is eligible for the Australian Government’s Endeavour Leadership Program. A Foreign Service officer from Dominica participated in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s International Graduate Program in 2018.
Information on our economic partnership can be found in our Economic Factsheet for Dominica.
Dominica is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and other regional organisations.
Australia and Dominica are members of the Commonwealth, United Nations and World Trade Organization.
Australia’s foreign policy is guided by the Foreign Policy White Paper.
- Dominican visitors to Australia (2017) — 100
- Australian visitors to Dominica (primary destination 2017) — 500
- Resident Australian population born in Dominica (2016) — 30
- Australian residents of Caribbean Islander descent (2016) — 3,600
- Dominican students in Australia (2017) — <5
High level engagement
- 2017 July — Foreign Minister Julie Bishop met Dominica’s Foreign Minister Baron in Grenada.
- 2017 June — Australia’s Ambassador for Women and Girls, Dr Sharman Stone, visited Dominica.
Australian High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago
18 Herbert Street, St Clair, Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago
Tel: +1 (868) 822 5450
Facebook: Australia in the Caribbean