Advocacy for Georgia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity among Pacific nations, and close cooperation and support in international organisations.
Australia established diplomatic relations with Georgia in 1992. We share a warm bilateral relationship, founded on shared values and respect for the rules-based international order. This includes membership of the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan and the Global Coalition against Daesh.
Economic and trade information is available in the Georgia Fact sheet.
Joining the European Union and NATO, and maintenance of its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of Russian aggression are Georgia’s top foreign policy goals.
In recent years Georgia has used is strategic location on the Black Sea between Russia and Turkey to its advantage, developing as an energy and transport hub connecting Europe with Asia.
Georgia is a member of the United Nations and the International Monetary Fund, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the Council of Europe, the World Trade Organization, NATO's Partnership for Peace, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the Black Sea Regional Economic Group and the Asian Development Bank. Georgia ceased its membership of the Commonwealth of Independent States following the 2008 war with Russia.
Further information about Georgia’s foreign policy.
Australia’s foreign policy is guided by the Foreign Policy White Paper.
- Australian visitors to Georgia (2018) — 1,400
- Georgian visitors to Australia (2018) — 500
- Resident Australian population born in Georgia (2016 census) — 493
- Australian residents of Georgian descent (2016 census) — 747
High level engagement
- 2018 — Deputy Minister of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of Georgia, Ms Irina Abuladze led a delegation of education professionals to Australia
- 2017 — Deputy Foreign Minister of Georgia, Mr David Jalagania, visited Australia
Australian Embassy in Turkey
Uğur Mumcu Caddesi No: 88, Level 7
Gaziosmanpaşa 06700, Ankara
Tel: +90 312 459 9500
Facebook: Australia in Turkey