Are you a business located in rural or regional Australia, with non-seasonal labour needs that can't be met by Australian workers? If so, you may be eligible to become an Approved Employer under the Pacific Labour Scheme.
The Scheme commenced on 1 July 2018 and enables citizens of Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu to take up low and semi-skilled work opportunities in rural and regional Australia for up to three years. The Scheme is uncapped and has been expanded to more Pacific island countries to help meet labour demands in rural and regional Australia.
The Scheme is open to all sectors and industries with an initial focus on those that match employment projections in Australia including: hospitality and tourism; aged and disability care; and non-seasonal agriculture, forestry and fishing industries.
The new Pacific Labour Facility connects Australian employers with Pacific workers and supports the administration of the Scheme.
To become an Approved Employer, you must satisfy a series of checks to ensure that you are reputable, financially sound and able to fulfil the requirements of the Scheme, including applying for 'Temporary Activities Sponsorship' with the Department of Home Affairs.
This short self-assessment checklist is designed to help you determine whether your business fulfils the minimum requirements of the Scheme:
- Are you an Australian-based business, operating in Australia?
- Is your business located in regional or rural Australia?
- Is your business in need of non-seasonal labour that can't be met by Australian workers?
- Is your business a company or incorporated association?
- Do you have an ABN?
- Is your business able to demonstrate financial solvency?
- Does your business have a history of compliance with immigration and fair work requirements?
- Does your business have established employment and workplace policies and procedures?
Answering 'yes' is not a guarantee of eligibility, but provides an indication that your business may be eligible to become a Scheme Approved Employer.
For more information about the Scheme, or to request an Approved Employer application form, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org