Sector: Arts and Culture
Country location: India, Australia
Grantee: Synergy & TaikOz Ltd
Chi Udaka seamlessly blends a heart-thumping barrage of virtuosic drumming with the sinuous beauty of Indian dance.
This dynamic, cross-cultural theatrical partnership is a meeting of the thunderous drumming of Taikoz and the intricate classical Indian dance movements of Lingalayam. The vocabulary of both companies is steeped in history and tradition and they now come together with their respective Australian-Japanese and Indian practices to break new ground.
Inspired by the forces of nature, Chi Udaka is a meeting of the deep earthiness of taiko drumming (Chi – earth) and the flowing sensuality of dance (Udaka – water). At turns delicate and dramatic, it unites the taiko drums of Taikoz, the shakuhachi flute of Riley Lee, plus cello and classical Indian vocals with Lingalayam’s juxtaposing of the Bharatha Natyam and Kuchipudi dance styles.
- Reception, Pondicherry, 15 November 2016
- Workshop, Chennai, 17 November 2016
- Performance, Chennai, 18 November 2016
- Performance, Bangalore, 20 November 2016
- Performance, Vizag, 23 November 2016
- Performance, Hyderabad, 26 November 2016
- Workshop, Mumbai, 28 November 2016
- Performance, Mumbai, 29 November 2016
- Performance, Tijara, 03 December 2016
Social media accounts: www.taikoz.com, www.lingalayam.com, www.thehindu.com, www.facebook.com/TAIKOZfan/, https://twitter.com/Taikoz, vimeo.com/taikoz, https://www.youtube.com/user/SynergyandTaikOzLtd, http://www.ncpamumbai.com,
Australia-India Council grant offer: $50,000.00
Total project value: $354,470.00