- Sector: Science, Technology and Innovation
- Country location: Australia
- Grantee: Australian Marine Sciences Association (NT Branch)
The theme of the Australian Marine Sciences Association (AMSA) 2017 conference in Darwin from 2–7 July is ‘Connections through Shallow Seas’. This maxim covers aspects of marine science, but also connections with Traditional Owners and marine scientists of near-neighbour countries within the region—especially Indonesia. The conference will involve at least 350 delegates and is the headline conference nationally for marine science practitioners and users of this research in industry and government.
Given Darwin’s proximity to Southeast Asia, it also represents an excellent opportunity to engage our near neighbours. The main goal is to be able to bring marine scientists (e.g. early-career university researchers and post-graduate students), as well as those involved in marine enterprises from the region, to AMSA 2017. The Northern Territory has the capacity to provide a centre for training in marine science, as well as being partners in sustainable development of the Arafura and Timor Seas. The conference program has sessions directly relevant to this subject, including: 'Arafura and Timor Seas Ecosystems'; 'Ecological diversity and connectivity in the tropical eastern Indian Ocean'; and 'Small-scale commercial marine harvest: challenges and opportunities'.
AMSA 2017 Scientific Program, Darwin Entertainment Centre/Doubletree Hilton Esplanade Hotel, Darwin, 03/07/2017 to 06/07/2017
AMSA 2017 Icebreaker, Doubletree Hilton Esplanade Hotel, Darwin, 02/07/2017 to 02/07/2017
- Australia-Indonesia Institute grant offer: $10,000.00 (No GST in addition)
- Total project value: $349,585.00
- Website: http://events.amsaconference.net
- Social media:
- AMSA 2017 conference website (events.amsaconference.net)
- AMSA Facebook (#australianmarinescienceassociation)
- AMSA–NT Twitter (@amsa_nt)
- AMSA Twitter (@amsa_marine)
- AMSA e-News (to all AMSA members weekly/fortnightly)