The Council provides funding through a competitive grants program for projects across Latin America and Australia. Projects need to be relevant to one or more of the following objectives:
- to enhance and strengthen links between Australia and Latin America, in the priority areas of business, education, sustainability, tourism and cultural promotion (including sport)
- to influence corporate Australia to initiate closer engagement with Latin America; and
- to increase awareness and understanding of Australia in Latin America, and of Latin America in Australia.
The Council invites funding applications annually from individuals and organisations for projects that demonstrate the potential for the development of long-term links and cooperation between individuals and institutions in Australia and their counterparts in Latin America. COALAR grants are intended to provide seed funds for innovative proposals relevant to the goals and mission of the Council as stated in the 2014–17 Strategic Plan.
The Council supports innovative projects that have clear outcomes and seek to ensure the benefits of such activities are spread as widely as possible across the following priority areas:
- Education including applied research
- Sport, Culture and Tourism
2019-20 Grant Program
Guidelines for Funding Applicants
In 2019 there will be a one stage only application process for the COALAR Grants Program. Applicants will need to submit full budget information and referee statements in their application to meet the end of March deadline. The Council Board will then shortlist and select the successful applicants to be awarded a grant.
Dates for 2019-2020 Grants Round
- Opening of COALAR 2019-2020 Grant round – applications invited - 5th February 2019
- Closing date for submitting applications - 28th March 2019
- Unsuccessful applicants notified and successful applicants advised of grant allocation pending funding allocation for the 2019-2020 Financial Year - by August 2019