The Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR) Grant Program for 2019-20, for projects commencing between August 2019 and June 2020 will open on 5th February 2019 and close 28th March 2019. There are no major changes to the Strategic Plan or Guidelines for 2019 — potential applicants should review the Strategic Plan and 2019 Guidelines (links below) in preparation for the round opening.
Council on Australia Latin America Relations outcomes
The Australian Government established the Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR) in 2001 to enhance Australia's economic, political and social relations with Latin America.
The objectives of the Council on Australia Latin America Relations are:
- Enhanced and strengthened links between Australia and Latin America, particularly in the areas of mutual economic support (encompassing two way trade and investment), education, sustainability and applied research, sport, culture and tourism, aligned closely with the policy of economic diplomacy
- Closer engagement at a corporate level between Australia and Latin America
- Increased engagement with and understanding of Australia in Latin America, and of Latin America in Australia and
- The provision of advice to government about opportunities that will enhance the Australia — Latin America relationship.
The Council supports activities that promote:
- Latin America and Australia's business capabilities, including in integrated management of energy, water, sustainability, agriculture and mining — and in development of infrastructure; building — where possible on opportunities to extend interest and linkages between Australia and Latin America on public policy issues and administration
- Australia's economic credentials in terms of the ways and means by which Australian governments and public sectors facilitate the sound operation and growth of the Australian economy
- Australia as a competitive, high quality tourist destination
- Australia's profile as a competitive and high quality provider of education and that encourage linkages between Australian schools, TAFEs, colleges and universities with Latin American institutions
- Showcasing Australia's academic and science institutions as a potential source of direct or collaborative applied research and innovation where capabilities and strengths align with Latin American institutions. Tropical medicine and agribusiness, health, innovation and the digital economy have been highlighted as of current interest
- public diplomacy and cultural activities in Latin America which showcase Australia as a diverse and dynamic society — and a willing collaborator — in performing arts, visual arts, literature, fashion and food among others and
- supporting sports diplomacy and cooperation activities in Latin America that create or extend linkages and exchange from community to elite level.
COALAR grants are intended to provide seed funding to innovative projects relevant to the aims and objectives of the Council. This includes proposals that demonstrate potential for the development of long term linkages between individuals and institutions in Australia and their counterparts in Latin America.
Applications for COALAR Grants should seek to contribute to the Council's objectives as outlined in the COALAR Strategic Plan. The Council concentrates its activities on the following priority areas:
- Mutual Economic Support (encompassing two way trade and investment);
- Education, Sustainability and Applied Research and
- Sport, Arts and Culture and Tourism.
In the 2019-2020 Grant round the Council will consider favourably projects that strengthen relations with priority countries Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru, as well as through the Pacific Alliance.
Projects that have a sport or commercial/business focus are strongly encouraged.
Public-Private partnerships involving co-funding are also strongly encouraged.
In line with DFAT’s Indigenous People’s Strategy DFAT encourages Indigenous Australians to apply.
The link to the online application form is included in the Guidelines below.
In addition to the detailed Guidelines, all applicants should familiarise themselves with COALAR's Strategic Plan before submitting applications.
See detailed Guidelines attached below:
COALAR grant guidelines 2019 [DOCX 84 KB]
COALAR grant guidelines 2019 [PDF 900 KB]